Thursday, March 17, 2016

Some notes on Ubuntu

I'm a Windows guy. I've got some basic Linux knowledge because I use Cisco and VMware technology but there is so much more that I need to learn.
This post are just notes that I've learned out of necessity or curiosity. It's not to be meant to be technical by any means.

~/ is the current users home directory
/ is the current drive root
Sudo runs commands as root or administrator.  Even though one is logged in as an admin, most apps run using principle of least privilege.  I'm used to right click run as Administrator or runas command in Windows, this is just a different model.

I prefer a GUI, so I installed the Ubuntu desktop:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop


Immediately after installing Ubuntu check fro updates, upgrades and new kernel
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
How to update kernel https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel

After Ubuntu updates/upgrades edit the hosts file and update the FQDN.
Your typical hosts file looks like this:

You should to update it to:
 
Sudo gedit /etc/hosts (I use gedit but you can use another text editor)

Some other things I tend to do is:
Add the terminal shortcut to the dock
Add gedit shortcut to the dock
Remove those Libre shortcuts






No comments:

Post a Comment